This webpage is specially dedicated as a free Resource for all Colorado Bar Association Solo-Small Firm Section Owners & Attorneys
The Solo-Small Firm Executive Council is excited to join with networking partner Colorado W.O.L.F. to create this page for all SSF Section Members
Learning and Discussion Resources: Solo-Small Firm Community
Solo-Small Firm Email Community
Connect and communicate with other Solo-Small Firm Section members across Colorado at any time via the Community email platform. Members initiate and participate in discussions on specific practice questions, legal resources and trends, and recommendations for vendors, services, and product solutions. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Focused Continuing Legal Education
“The Practical Lawyer” Lunch & Learn Series
Upcoming how-to CLEs featuring:
- Law Firm Entity Choice & Tax Consequences
- Entity Organization Documents & Business Plans
- Temporary Absence Checklists and Succession Planning
- Financial Planning: Health Insurance, Health Care Accounts & Retirement Vehicles
- Social Media for Solo-Small Firm Attorneys
- In-depth six-part program on Raising Your Profile Through Presentations
Networking Events & Groups
Events currently offered for 2021 remain virtual gatherings, including the annual Solo-Small Firm institute in June. Have suggestions for additional events? The SSF Executive Council would love to hear your ideas. Please email our CBA Solo-Small Firm Liaison Ashley Staab.
Member & Leadership Participation
Executive Council, Committees – Solo-Small Firm members are welcome to attend quarterly Executive Council meetings and participate in Committees. Meetings are held virtually until CBA offices reopen (video and call-in access information will be posted prior to the meeting here).
Annual Executive Council Officer and Member elections provide Members additional leadership opportunities.
Current Council initiatives include:
- developing mentoring circles in partnership with CAMP (Colorado Attorney Mentoring Program) and LawBank
- promoting diversity and Solo/Small Firm Attorney participation in judicial appointments
- CLE partnerships with Colorado W.O.L.F., and increasing diversity engagement within the Solo/Small Firm Section and Executive Council
Scheduled SSF Executive Council meetings:
- Wednesday, January 27th at noon
- Wednesday, March 24th at noon
- Wednesday, June 16th at noon
SOLO IN COLO: Solo-Small Firm Section Blog
Solo-Small Firm Referral Opportunities
The Solo-Small Firm Email Community is the interactive platform for the SSF Section’s referral network. Members accessing the daily Solo-Small Firm Community email feed have immediate opportunities to respond to other Members’ call for referring out legal matters.
Solo-Small Firm Referral List – SSF members also have access to the Section’s Google doc that lists those SSF attorneys willing to take referrals and their practice areas. Click here to view the Google doc and add your firm and practice areas to the list.
SSF Executive Council & Committee Contacts
Please feel free to reach out to any Executive Council member with your questions or comments regarding the Solo-Small Firm Section, Section programming, or issues facing you as a solo or small firm attorney.
2020-2021 Executive Council – Officers (1-year terms)
Chair – Rebecca Mastel
Chair Elect – Craig Stoner
Secretary – Ben Norton
Treasurer – Richard Lionberger
Committee Chairs (varied terms)
Board of Governors Representative (2 years) – Dave Sprecace
CLE Committee Liaison (2 years) – Barb Heikoff
Communications (2 years) – Justie Nichol
Digital Communications (incl. SOLOinCOLO blog; 2 yearrs) – Taylor Carillo
Legislative Policy Committee Liaison (2 years) – Carl Miller
Young Lawyers Division Representative (1 year) – Tim Galluzzi
At-Large Members (2 years)
CBA Staff Liaison for Solo Small/Firm – Ashley Staab
Immediate Past Chair, SSF Executive Council – Tom Werge
Interested in Joining the Solo-Small Firm Section?
Resources and platforms provided by the Solo-Small Firm Section are Members-Only Benefits. If you would like to join the Solo-Small Firm Section, please contact our CBA Staff Liaison Ashley Staab. Annual dues renewal of $25 may be paid here. Financial assistance for SSF Section dues is available and may be requested by emailing Executive Council Chair Rebecca Mastel.
2021 - 2022 Executive Council Election Timeline
- January 15, 2021 – Chair appoints Search Committee
- March 25 – Deadline for Section members to volunteer or nominate others for positions.
- March 25 – If only one Section member volunteers or has been nominated for each position, Search Committee will submit a slate of candidates to secretary.
- April 1 – Secretary circulates slate to all Section members
- April 15 – Deadline for petitioning Executive Council to include additional nominations on a ballot. Each petition requires at least 15 Section members’ signatures.
- May 1 – If no additional nominations are received, slate of candidates is declared elected
- May 10 – In the event of multiple volunteers or nominees for the same position, electronic ballots are issued
- May 20 – Ballots due
- May 31 – Results of vote shared with entire Solo/Small Firm Section
- July 1 – 2021-2022 Executive Council takes office
Solo-Small Firm Referral / Contact List (Google doc)
Looking for other Solo-Small Firm Attorneys to refer matters to? Want to be on the SSF Referral List so others know your practice area and how to reach you?
- Email Ashley Staab to receive the Google doc link for the SSF Referral/Contact list: email@example.com
Looking for Events for the Solo-Small Firm Section?
- Scroll further down this webpage for current listings. Have an event for SSF attorneys you would like listed on this webpage? Email Chairwoman@COWOLF.org
Trusted Vendors: Legal Products and Services for Solo & Small Firms
- Click here to be routed to Colorado W.O.L.F.’s hand-picked list of trusted industry vendors that provide superior and reliable services to Solo and Small Firm attorneys.
Calendar of Events: Solo-Small Firm Section
Live Stream Ended: A free 4-part series designed for new solo and small firm lawyers with guidance on how to get their practices started. These 2-hour lunchtime sessions on Thursdays during January 2021 will cover a broad range of topics, including entity selection, trust accounting, marketing, malpractice insurance, office sharing arrangements, mentoring, networking, and technology.
Registration required. Participants may attend all or some of the sessions. Sponsored by: Solo-Small Firm Practice Section, Business Law Section, and Young Lawyers Division of the Colorado Bar Association.
To learn more about this series or register, click here.
- Thursday, January 7, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Getting Started: Entity Selection and Trust Accounts
- Thursday, January 14, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Next Steps for Your Firm: Marketing, Office Sharing and Malpractice Insurance
- Thursday, January 21, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Resources for You and Your Firm: Mentoring, Networking and Mental Health
- Thursday, January 28, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Technology for Your Firm: Billing, Research and More